Monday, March 7, 2011

The Boro Victory Garden is back!

Poor little faded garden gnome still hard at work
Well, after an almost two year hiatus from blogging, I am back to both gardening and blogging. In the middle of my first year of blogging (2009) about the Gro-biointensive method, my camera died and so did my blog! The garden ultimately turned out pretty well.

Then last year, my husband (aka the "muscle" in this blog) and my two dogs and I took a lovely, long trip to Colorado right in the middle of gardening season so I opted not to put in a garden and instead relied on my tasty box of organic vegetables each week from Doe Run Farm.

This year I am armed with a new camera and the most recent issue of Mother Earth News Guide to Organic Gardening. For those of you who remember my transplanting woes, I am also awaiting with great anticipation the arrival of my soil blockers! More on that soon...

No double dig this year, just a couple of bags of Miracle Gro organic garden soil and a couple of bags of humus/manure. After the double dig one year, followed by a year of lying fallow, the soil seemed in pretty good shape. Maybe this year, I'll learn to make compost. It is NOT as easy as some people make it out to be!

Hoping to hear from some of my gardening friends as I keep trying to figure out this gardening thing--and maybe some cooking and canning too.
And here is the garden prepped for the new year.
I still need to spend some time digging out some roots from previous plantings. Also, you can see at the end of the garden next to the shed is a pile of leaves I plan to use for mulching around the plants. I have not mulched sufficiently in the past. As they say in Mother Earth News: Mulch! Mulch! Mulch!

6 comments:

Mandi said...

How cool! Jordan (my fiance) likes to garden as well - he's been restricted to a very small bed in his parents' back yard to grow peppers (jalapeno and cayenne), strawberries (all of them got eaten by squirrels), okra, and squash. We've decided we're going to give his canned jalapenos away as wedding favors (in addition to some awesome canned pickles and salsa). I'm hopeful that we'll be able to devote more space to a bigger bed once we have our own home :)

The Boro Gardener said...

Wow, thanks for the comment. I'll be experimenting with some container gardening too. That's an alternative when you don't have a lot of space. I have a big yard but too much shade so I am going to plant my tomatoes in containers and put them where they will get a lot of sun. It's all a bit experiment. :)

ekd said...

Hoorah! I love the Boro Gardener!

Gib and I were just talking about how we haven't talked to you in a while and missed seeing you.

The Boro Gardener said...

I know I miss you guys too. Are you gardening this year? We should get together, drink coffee, and talk gardens.

Mrs. JP said...

So glad that you're back. I've planted my tomato seeds and am waiting to signs of life.

The Boro Gardener said...

Hey Mrs. JP: Thanks for stopping by. Glad you are still gardening and still blogging. Your pups are as cute as ever!