Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Helpful Organic Gardening Advice

I am a lucky gardener. I have found some good sources of advice. In addition, to Tennzen's very helpful suggestion of kaolin clay, Judy & John of Doe Run Farm (the CSA I belong to), offered some good insight too. They think the problem might be Colorado Potato Beetles (leptinotarsa decemlineata). I haven't actually seen any adult beetles:

But I'm wondering if I mistook larvae for ladybugs (both photos from Wikipedia):

You might wonder how I did that, but remember I'm a novice and my eyesight is not that good! Judy and John recommended picking them off (that's assuming I can find them!) and dropping them in soapy water. Or just living with some leaf damage. Or spraying them with a bacterium called bacillus thurengesis that paralyzes their digestive tract and then they die. That's a little daunting, but I guess it's the reality of gardening.

3 comments:

Mrs. JP said...

Eeeekk! The potato beetle is so creepy, much less the little larvae. Please keep us posted on what happens. If it's not going to damage your crop maybe it'll be okay to leave.

My Mother's Garden said...

Hi!
Just stop over to say hello.
Interesting photos of those little creatures! I hope they just eat the leaves and won't hurt your crops.Good luck! Your garden looks like it's full of yummy vegetables, lucky you!
Thanks for visiting and following My Mother's Garden!
~ Karrita

Unknown said...

Which season is the best for the vegetable growth especially which contain vitamin C and D!
Vegetable Growing Advice